Visual studio won't debug

OK, I know that it don’t come from the framework but when I attempt to debug in Vs2017(last release) I get that message(approximately translated from French ) :"Can run the program vsProjectDir/x64/debug/ALL_BUILD access denied ".
It seem that VS’s debugger don’t have the authorization to read the ALL_BUILD directory but I don’t know how to resolve that (do I have to get a user the write to read the directory, which user, i can’t find more user than mine, do I have to create an user, is it something else).

If you help me you’ll get a cookie. ‹‹(^◇^)››

ALL_BUILD is set up as the default start-up project in VS, but it’s not an executable, not even a library, just a meta-project. So it cannot be executed by the debugger. Right click Banshee3D project in the solution explorer, then Set as StartUp project.

If i do i get that.

lass bs::Flags<enum bs::ResourceLoadFlag,unsigned int>) [c:\projects\bsf\source\foundation\bsfcore\resources\bsresources.cpp:41]

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Skin\Sprites\sprite_White.psd.asset doesn’t exist.
in class bs::TResourceHandle<class bs::Resource,0> __cdecl bs::Resources::load(const class bs::Path &,class bs::Flags<enum bs::ResourceLoadFlag,unsigned int>) [c:\projects\bsf\source\foundation\bsfcore\resources\bsresources.cpp:41]

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\arial.ttf.asset doesn’t exist.
in class bs::TResourceHandle<class bs::Resource,0> __cdecl bs::Resources::load(const class bs::Path &,class bs::Flags<enum bs::ResourceLoadFlag,unsigned int>) [c:\projects\bsf\source\foundation\bsfcore\resources\bsresources.cpp:41]

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\GUISkin.json.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\Arrow.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\ArrowDrag.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\ArrowLeftRight.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\IBeam.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\Deny.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\Wait.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\SizeNESW.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\SizeNS.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\SizeNWSE.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[WARNING] Cannot load resource. Specified file: Data\Cursors\SizeWE.psd.asset doesn’t exist.

[ERROR] A fatal error occurred and the program has to terminate!

• Error: InternalErrorException
  • Description: Trying to access a resource that hasn’t been loaded yet.
  • In function: void __cdecl bs::ResourceHandleBase::throwIfNotLoaded(void) const
  • In file: c:\projects\bsf\source\foundation\bsfcore\resources\bsresourcehandle.cpp:113

Stack trace:
0x140712576964966 Module[bsf.dll]
0x140712583104630 Module[bsf.dll]
0x140712582604598 Module[bsf.dll]
0x140712582581910 Module[bsf.dll]
0x140712591298747 Module[bsf.dll]
0x140712594785859 Module[bsf.dll]
0x140712594788524 Module[bsf.dll]
0x140712594801930 Module[bsf.dll]
bs::Modulebs::CoreApplication::startUp<bs::Application,bs::START_UP_DESC &>() - 0x140695880221135 File[bsmodule.h:93 (0)] Module[myApp.exe]
bs::Application::startUpbs::Application() - 0x140695880220633 File[bsapplication.h:33 (10)] Module[myApp.exe]
main() - 0x140695880215727 File[main.cpp:8 (82)] Module[myApp.exe]
invoke_main() - 0x140695880231460 File[exe_common.inl:79 (0)] Module[myApp.exe]
__scrt_common_main_seh() - 0x140695880231118 File[exe_common.inl:288 (5)] Module[myApp.exe]
__scrt_common_main() - 0x140695880230798 File[exe_common.inl:331 (0)] Module[myApp.exe]
mainCRTStartup() - 0x140695880231609 File[exe_main.cpp:17 (0)] Module[myApp.exe]
0x140714031544788 Module[KERNEL32.DLL]
0x140714032942705 Module[ntdll.dll]

Sortie de C:\Users\bertr\Documents\Projet\build\Debug\myApp.exe (processus 13392) avec le code -1.
Pour fermer automatiquement la console quand le débogage s’arrête, activez Outils->Options->Débogage->Fermer automatiquement la console à l’arrêt du débogage.
Appuyez sur une touche pour fermer cette fenêtre.

It seems you may have missed the step that downloads the assets for the engine and editor.

Checkout he repo anew and try the steps again.

git clone https://github.com/BearishSun/BansheeEngine.git
cd BansheeEngine
‘md Build’ if you are using command prompt
‘mkdir Build’ if you are using git bash
cmake -G “Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64” …
This step should download all dependencies and create the solution file inside the build dir
Open the Banshee3D.sln file with visual studio
Change your configuration to debug if it’s not on debug as I don’t think release config is working right now (as of the last time I tried it).

You can do a build all then try to start the Banshee3D project.

So I cannot setup a project my using the precompiled binaries ?

OK it work .
I built the source from:https://github.com/GameFoundry/bsf.gitT
Theni followed the “Link with binaries” part of http://docs.bsframework.io/latest/build.html , no issue.

• If i build https://github.com/BearishSun/BansheeEngine.gitb it say << can run the program “a/path/to/Banshee3D.exe/” the file is unfindable>> or << can run the program “a/path/to/game.exe/” the file is unfindable>> if i set game project as default project, when i try to debug.
  • If i follow the “Link with source” part of http://docs.bsframework.io/latest/build.html it say that cmake don’t know the “copyBsfBinaries” command.
  • I also had a proplem with xstring.dontKnow cause i use the Realese dll in Debug mode.

Yes, you can setup a project using the precompiled binaries.

I will see if I can do a video tutorial later and link it here.

However, in the mean time if you just follow the instructions in the docs it should just work. Just follow the steps closely and make sure you don’t miss anything.

You need to set the path correctly in your cmake file.

There are two things you are working with here:

1. The banshee framework
  2. The banshee engine

The banshee framework is mostly an un-opinionated library that you can use to build your game or your own engine.
If you want to work with the framework then you can use the prebuilt binaries or build from source.
The instructions here: http://docs.bsframework.io/latest/build.html work just fine. Remember to modify the cmakelist file to set your paths correctly.

The banshee engine/editor is an editor/engine which uses the banshee framework as a base.
The editor is not stable right now so if you are hoping to build a full game in it then you need to hold off for a bit. If you just want to play around with it and see what you can build with it then I recommend that you build it from source. If you are building the editor then you do not need to build the framework separately. The build steps will take care of everything for you.

Let me know which one you are using and I can do the video tutorial.

Regards.

I know, I set the path of the source in build with source but the problem come from a function in the CmakeList.txt, and for Banshee I follow your steps but I get the error I described before.
I don’t plain to use both cause they’re more or less the same, I just want to play with bsf (cause if I wanted to use Banshee, I’d rather download an executable).

Are you using a nightly build?

I noticed that the bsfPhysX module is not in the latest nightly build available for windows which causes issues when running.